During his managerial career, Martin Wilkinson has taken charge of Northampton Town, Carlisle United and Peterborough United.

Following lengthy discussions on March 24th 2003, Northampton Town's Board of Directors decided to relieve manager Terry Fenwick of his duties with immediate effect after just seven games in charge. As a replacement the Board decided to appoint Fenwick's assistant Wilkinson as caretaker manager.

Wilkinson joined Northampton back in the summer of 2000 as the Cobblers' Chief Scout, and was promoted to the position of Assistant Manager when Kevin Broadhurst took over the hot seat in September 2001. Wilkinson has a great deal of managerial experience both domestically and internationally.

Despite never playing football at a professional level, the Cobblers caretaker bossĀ  shown great knowledge of the game on the coaching side. In the late 1970s he was Allen Clarke's assistant at Barnsley where the duo successfully took Barnsley from the bottom of the old Fourth Division to the top of the old Second Division.

The pair left to take over at the reigns at Leeds United in the Autumn of 1980. During his time at Elland Road the young playing talents of Denis Irwin, Terry Phelan and Scott Sellers were unearthed and Wilkinson was also credited with the discovery of England's long serving goalkeeper David Seaman, a player he would take with him to his next appointment.

The Sixfields acting manager then had a brief spell in charge of Peterborough United in 1982/83. Wilkinson was in the hot seat at London Road Ground for just 26 games before the opportunity arose to become manager of Icelandic side Fram.

He transformed the Rekjavik based outfit into a solid hard working unit and led them to the Icelandic Cup and into the European Cup Winners Cup.

His success there resulted in a job offer in Perth, Australia and after a brief spell down under he returned to Joe Jordan's Bristol City side as Chief Scout in the mid-nineties. A similar role took him to Carlisle in early 1998 and he was part of the backroom staff that kept the Cumbrians in the Football League thanks to Jimmy Glass' famous 95th minute goal.

He was eventually appointed General Manager at Brunton Park in June 1999 - before Michael Knighton resigned as Chairman and put his share in the club up for sale. Wilkinson managed to lead The Blues to survival for the second consecutive season amidst much publicised off the field problems but made way for Ian Atkins in the summer of 2000.

Following his exit from the Cumbrians Wilkinson made the long trip down the M6 to Sixfields. After operating in a couple of positions at the club he was handed the the managerial post.

start date
Finish date