David Webb

David Webb returned, on a temporary basis, to take charge of Southend United for a third time following the sacking of Steve Wignall in November 2003 with The Shrimpers lying third bottom of Division Three.

Webb had previously returned to take charge of the club in October 2000, 14 years after his first appointment to the post, replacing Alan Little with the club struggling to make an impact in Division Three after sucessive relegations in 1997 and 1998.

Webb had a brief, but well remembered, spell with Chelsea in 1993 when he took charge as caretaker boss for less than three months before relinquishing control to Glenn Hoddle.

He had started League management with Bournemouth, where he took charge for 14 months from December 1980 and he went on to manager Torquay for another 18 months from February 1984.

A year after leaving the South Coast side he began a long-running affair with Southend United. For part of the 1986/87 season he took them to 20 wins out of 37 games with only 10 losses. He left in March 1987 but rejoined them in November 1988, staying until May 1992 as General Manager for 181 games.

After the 13 game run with Chelsea, he went straight to Brentford where he stayed for over four years from May 1993 to August 1997.

After a successful six month spell with Conference high-fliers Yeovil, he went back to Southend in October 2000, with The Shrimpers languishing in Division Three.

Upon rejoining, he said: "I want to start where I finished off, the top of the League in the First Division. I kept saying I'll be back, I didn't expect it to be this long, but I had some good times here, a lot of fun, laughter, a lot of joy and that's really what I want to bring back."

As a player Webb had spent three years with Chelsea from 1969 to 1972, playing in midfield alongside the likes of Peter Osgood.

He played in the League Cup Final in 1972 against Stoke (Chelsea lost 2-1) and the European Cup Winners Cup Final against Real Madrid in 1971. The match was a tie, but Chelsea won the replay. He will be best remembered by the Chelsea faithful for clinching the FA Cup in 1970. Chelsea drew with Leeds at Wembley and were still tied at 1-1 after 90 minutes of the replay at Old Trafford. In the 104th minute Dave, wearing the No.6 shirt, rose to head the goal that saw Chelsea lift the trophy.

His second spell at the helm ended after just 12 months as Rob Newman took charge, eventually steering United to a 17th-placed finish.

Newman's reign came to an end in March 2003 and Wignall was appointed the following month but after a disappointing start to the 2003/04 season he was also sacked and Webb was drafted back into the manager's chair as the club considered their next appointment.

start date
Finish date